October 11, 2004

Big Car, Big Jerk

The other morning as I was pulling out of my neighborhood I was cut off by a big, black, Hummer-esque vehicle. As I pulled up to the yield sign, the mammoth-size car pulled around me blocking my ability to see oncoming traffic. In retaliation I pulled forward in an attempt to return the favor (not the most defensive tactic, I know) but he proceeded to pull around me, swing all the way into the far left lane then back into the far right lane. Clearly, this person is an ass at the most, and a terrible driver at the least.

In the car I am quick to lambast other drivers around me. I swear like a sailor on Saturday in a saloon - ask the wife. However, I wonder if the current size of vehicles make it easier to both spot asshole drivers and become an ass yourself. Certainly the larger the car the easier it is to spot horrible drivers. Does the increased size of a vehicle also give it's driver a (false) sense of security from other drivers (or laws)? I've never driven any of the current gigantic tank-like vehicles that dot today's roads so it's easy for me to heap scorn and disdain on them. Still, I am curious about other's experiences with - or in - today's SUVs.

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger SB said...

My dad drives one o' them CRV's, and that's not too bad. But it's a smaller SUV (barely bigger than a minivan, I think) so I'm not sure it really counts.

Those gigantic SUVs--the Expeditions and whatnot--are just plain lame. Unless, I suppose, you're a farmer hauling things. But if you're driving on the I5 to L.A., you probably don't really need an Escalade to do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home