December 07, 2004

The Dark Tower

Last night, I finished reading the seventh and final book of the Dark Tower series. Since it was due back to the library on Monday, I raced through the last two sections this weekend. A large number of passages in the story left deep impressions in my mind. Not surprisingly, the deepest were the most heartbreaking moments of the tale.

These sections gave me a glimpse of certain events that, while a long, long way off, will eventually came due. And break my heart.

I was so disturbed by these sections that I continued to read them over, even after finishing the book. I was actually glad to be returning the book to the library. There was great temptation to continue re-reading those pages. However, there is no point in focusing on eventual events in the distant future; not when you can enjoy the moments you have right now.

5 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger SB said...

Interesting. I think you should elaborate on those sections that left such impressions. I felt the same way, if I recall.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Jason said...

The two sections that caused such sorrow were the dying at 'Breaker U' and the events surrounding the final death before reaching the dark tower. As a spouse and a pet owener, you never want to think about those things. And I felt terrible for doing just that. However, it wasn't hard to drawn a line from the consequences of events in the book to those in my life

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Sam, What sections left impressions on you?

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger SB said...

Pretty much the same ones, actually. But also the ending, and I think the death of a certain character (I don't want to spoil it) by van was pretty rough.

Tough stuff. I liked the ending, though.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Jason said...

As did I. It seems that we are in the minority. Most people posting on the B&N.com, Amazon.com, et al, felt differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home