April 21, 2003

Easter has come and gone. The sister came down for the weekend so I spent Friday night, Saturday evening, Sunday morning and Sunday evening over at the Mom's visiting. As an added bonus a good friend the college days was in town from NYC. So a bunch of us Virginia Tech Photo Staff kids got caught up over pizza in Cleveland Park, DC. Easter Sunday was nice. We did brunch with some relatives, and then that evening the family & my girlfriend did Easter dinner at my Mom's. Dinner consisted of steaks wrapped in bacon, twice-cooked potatoes, lobster tail, corn on the cob and pie. A mighty feast.
Saturday night's Yo La Tengo show blew. I was so disappointed. I don't really like the new album and they played nearly every song from it unfortunately. YLT seems to be forgoing thier earlier noise-pop and lounge sensibilities for making music that is so quiet and docile that it barley registers as sound. Plus, the lyrics for this new album are just terrible; crossing over the line of a song-as-personal-confession to sounding like it was culled from the poetry of a thousand 13-year-old pop-star crushes. Trying to recreate the 'hushed' sounds of the album in a live setting was such a waste of the bands extraordinary talents and the very notion of a 'performance'. In one of the few critical reviews I read, it was suggested that the new album is the sound of the band decomposing. And sadly, I have to agree.

I could go on & on, but I'm testing the idea of going to bed at decent hour so I'm rested for a full day of work. heh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home