August 30, 2003

Direct Effect
Part two of an infrequent, rambling tirade about how the man is trying to keep me down

So Wed. was the day when the DirecTV installers were to come out and re-locate our satellite dish. Because of the drama involved in last month's installation I took the whole day off. Around 9am I get a phone call:
Install Dude: "Yeah, I am not going to be about to make it today."
Me: "Okay. I'd like to know why?"
Install Dude: "It's just one of those things. I'm really sorry."
Me: "That still doesn't explain why you're not coming out. I'd like to know why"
Install Dude: "It's just one of those things. If you would call DirecTV and reschedule."

*Sigh* so I dial up DirecTV and spin them a yarn, they become incensed (possibly feigned) and end up getting someone to come out that day. Around 5 pm I get a call telling me that the new install dude is running late. Around 6pm it starts to lightning and raining like the world is going to end. I get another phone call from the install people telling me that the install dude will be by within the hour. I check to make sure that they understand its dark, raining, and the sky is filled with lightning.
Install people: Oh, that's not a problem. They can still work in that.
When I ask them if that is, perhaps, a bit dangerous, she informs me that it’s not that dangerous. *SIGH* Of course, the guy doesn't show and at 10pm I get a call informing me of just that. Thanks, so considerate.

So I dial up DirecTV, and a guilt trip, to rat out the install people. 13 hours!!! Time off from work!!! I moan and howl. And it works. DirecTV is crediting most of my account for this month, as well as giving me a discount for the next six months. Bonus!

And this (long) story has a happy (overdue) ending. Another install dude came out this morning and re-located the dish, below the fence line with signal strength of 90% across the board. Which is a most excellent signal strength. Croc Hunter for all!!! CSPAN for everyone!!! Telemundo for the whole bar!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home