October 18, 2004

A Hazy Shade of Work

Last week I had a bothersome sore throat. It started on Sunday and I tried my best to be rid of it by Friday. Sadly, it only got worse. I tried to tough out the work week and succeed on most accounts. One adverse result of my stubbornness was that I don't remember a lot of what I did at work, just hazy shades of general tasks. Thursday night I gave up and decided that I would head to the doctor's first thing in the morning. Friday, however, did its best to keep me away from the doctor's office. At 6am I got a call on my cell phone. The freelance cameraman I hired to film a conference in Atlanta was refused access to the conference center by security. The reason? The conference was not occurring in the AM but in the PM. The association that hired our company to staff the event gave us the wrong times. So instead of sleeping in and then heading to the doctor's office I drove into work (earlier than usual) and tried to figure out this mess. Which I eventually did around 9am. Once at the doctor's they medicated me and after a weekend of rest I feel great.

Making the decision to head to the doctor's has become easier for me. I used to slog through sicknesses - even when they lasted for months - until the disease gave up. However, around age 23 I found that this approached yielded diminishing returns. Also, coming to work ill for weeks is not looked upon favorably by co-workers.

1 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger I am a motorboat mom said...

Loretta Lynn? oh dear. We have to have a chat....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home