May 06, 2003

A while back, when Adam and I visited Sam for his spring break Adam gave me three cds of complete albums in mp3 format. Until recently I hadn't spent much time with it. Currently I'm having trouble listening to anything but that first disc, having become quite enraptured with the DoseOne / Boom Bip / Clouddead albums. Taking a 'quick break' from work I called up the All Music Guide and looked up each artist, then added the albums to the ever-growing (never-ending?) list of cds I wish to buy. Let's put aside the fact that such a list makes me a music geek and continue to the next paragraph.

I've been thinking of late if I'm ever going to become disinterested in music and stop buying cds. Freshman year of high school I made the transition from 'buying' cds to 'collecting' them (yes, there is a difference). Student-run radio at college gave me access the vast tributaries of musical styles, increasing my music intake. Acquiring a full-time job gave the much-convented cash-flow to buy cds at a rate of 5 or 6 a month. Not immune to the current state of the economy, my cash-flow as been...'reduced' so that I can not collect cds at the rate I once did. This means going many weeks, sometimes months without purchasing any type of music. File sharing has been a godsend; however I do plan on purchasing 95% of the music I download. Honestly. I believe in supporting the artist (or rather, thier music label in some cases). In fact of the last 10 cds I've purchased 6 of them were albums that I'd already downloaded. Arg, getting off-track. Where I'm trying to go is: I wonder what will be the 'why' that my collecting music will end? Will I simply lose interest in listening to music. I would think that would be a personal change, rather then there being no more interesting music to hear. There is always someone, somewhere, with something interesting to say be it in the past or present. So I doubt that will be the reason. I've always seen the cause being budgetary / family reasons, I.E. saving for a wedding, purchasing a house, newborn child. All of which I see occurring in the next 5 years. Just something that I wonder about from time to time since music is a very important part of my life. How could I not? It sounds corny, yes, but it is. Listening to music is an experience for me; going to shows are like Christmas day (although sometimes the wrong presents get laid out under the tree).

So, Adam, thanks for the great cds. Maybe I have some stuff that I can burn for you as a thank you - jazz, psych or folk albums

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home