October 22, 2003

St. Ides Heaven

I was shocked this morning to learn of the death of Elliot Smith, who apparently killed himself Tuesday. I certainly feel sorry for his family, friends, and loved ones; for Elliot Smith who must have been so fractured as to have done such a terrible and painful thing to himself; and for his artistic voice which I held in great esteem.

While I never saw him perform live, I was always in awe of his ability to write an engaging narrative and wonderful Beatles/Brian Wilson melodies. His solo albums started off with sparse arrangements - voice and guitar - but gradually he added in instruments until he was recording/playing with full bands, which is where his Beatles fascination came into full view.

While I was also engaged by his recordings, I think I will always remember him for the way his songs touched that part of your persona that emerges only on the really bad days when the world has got your back against the wall. Some people described his music as ‘depressing’, however I would argue that it spoke lessons of defiance – that no matter how bad the thing holding you down is, you are better and smarter than it and eventually you will beat it.

I wonder if he ever saw it that way?

RIP Elliot Smith 1969-2003.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home