February 10, 2005

Of Wax & Dust

Prior to the Super Bowl the wife and I went treasure hunting at a local thrift store. Her mission was to find stuff for her school play. My mission: comb through ever LP in the store. In the past I had terrible luck with record hunting in thrift stores. My best excursion netted me 'Bare Trees' by Fleetwood Mac, pre-Buckingham/Nicks, and 'Tunnel of Love' by the Boss. Both are decent records, however as thrift store finds I feel they are pedestrian catches. This Sunday's trip was an overdue bonanza. I found 'The Bix Beiderbecke Story' by Bix & Tram, 'Conversations with Myself' by Bill Evans, and 'Jazz a la Creole' by the Sidney Bechet Trio. LPs that were issued in the '30's, '40s and '60s.
Also, I purchased Tom T. Hall's "Songs of Fox Hollow' on LP (we already own the CD). The LP came with a full-size book of color drawings that accompany each of the songs. Definitely, worth a $1.

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger Jason said...

With Sunday's rummaging as the exception, my experiences match your's. I find a lot of Herb Alpert records and ever more musical soundtracks recorded by someone other than the cast from the play. Vinyl bins can seem like a window into an alternate universe at times.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger SB said...

You know, all I read is "In my experience, blah blah blah blah for years."

Record-scavenging freaks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home