August 30, 2004

Grocery Arm

Do any of you do the 'grocery arm' when you go to the grocery store? Instead of walking the cart to my car I typically leave it at the front of the store and pile all the grocery bags onto my arm, or arms if necessary, then walk to my car. This display of heavy lifting prevents me from having to walk the cart to either the store front or those space-hogging cart-parks in the parking lot, which I find tedious.

Does anyone else practice this technique? I have only seen a scarce few practice it at my local grocer.

For those foreign to this technique, it should be noted you must make one trip and one trip only from cart to car. Otherwise what is the point?

4 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger SB said...

First of all, I don't even use a cart. I use a basket, even if I'm buying 2 gallons of milk, a case of Coke, and a 24-pack of bottled water. I'm just that strong and/or stupid. But it also means I lose my basket at checkout, not the parking lot.

Second of all, of course you make only one trip. Frankly, if you make more than one trip from car to house you've similarly failed and must admit to being a little girl.

The only exception is for the aforementioned case of Coke or water. If they don't bag it, that seriously cuts down on my carrying capacity. Bastards.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Back in the day when I was shopping for one I too was a fan of the basket, for all the reasons you've listed.
Now that I shop for two, the basket approach is not conducive to our shopping needs. I don't want to pay for bananas that were crushed by the milk.

The basket is also impractical when grocery shopping with the wife. Rather than make a tactical strike by only going down aisles that contain items you need, she likes to walk up and down every aisle in case something strikes her fancy.
Of this, I must say, I’m not a fan.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger SB said...

Ah, the hunter vs. gatherer dichotomy in its truest form. Surgical-strike shopping is definitely the way to be.

Anything else and you might miss some good TV back home.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Steven said...

In regard to possibly missing something good on TV I have one word: TIVO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home