March 09, 2005

Ruminations

Recently, I was privy to a conversation when one person accused another of lying. The liar wasn't a nefarious liar, they just lied in order to make themselves more appealing in the eyes of adults. I wasn't all that impressed with this accusation because I believe that everyone adds some embellishment to their stories. Even more so when they wish to impress someone of great importance in their lives.

This conversation jogged a topic I have been thinking about. Too often I seek the approval of certain people in my life. Looking back, even as recently as this week, I often seek validation from older men, typically those in some position of authority. I can't say exactly why I do this. It could be that my father passed away just after I turned 19. Three years later, my grandfather passed away. Before I could prove my independence in the real world I lost the two men who most influenced my upbringing.

However, I am not interested in the 'why'. I am simply interested in stopping this trend. In most cases I seek out people that have no business nor no interest in validating my life. Rarely do I receive what I am foolishly seeking.

So go easy on the young ones, I say. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home