March 01, 2005

Sewer Cats

Last week I discovered that two felines ( one cat, one kitten) live in the sewer system of our development. Since it is so cold outside the sewer is probably the best (warmest) place for them to be right now. Which is why I am conflicted about befriending them and, ultimately, capturing them and turning them over to the pound. What I am afraid of is if I do succeed in rescuing them they would be too wild to be domesticated. Typically, if that happens then the pound would be forced to destroy them. So what is better: living in the wild, seeking shelter in the sewers or the chance to live indoors under the care and attention of loving people? Who's to say they are not better off being let alone?

1 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There are feral cat rescue groups which capture (or take in), vaccinate and spay/neuter ferals and then adopt them out as housecats if they can be trained to be or barn cats in the more rural areas if they cannot. If you do decide to take them out of the sewer I suggest that you contact one of those groups (www.hart90.org) where you know they will not be killed. I tried to take in a feral cat once and all that did was cost me some money in vet bills, gave me ringworm on my arm and then she ran away ;-) so I'd suggest not trying that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home